Organization: Ontario Psychiatric Association (OPA)
CME Accreditation: Section 1
OPA Psychotherapy Section's
2017 Fall Conference
Emotion-focused therapy: The Transforming Power of Affect
Saturday, October 14, 2017
The Faculty Club, University of Toronto, 41 Willcocks Street, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1C7
OPA 2017 Psychotherapy Section Fall Conference (Oct. 14, 2017) has been approved for Section 1 of the Royal College’s Maintenance of Certification program. Accordingly, participants may earn 1 credit per hour of attendance, up to a maximum of 4.5 hours.
“This event is an accredited group learning activity (section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by the Canadian Psychiatric Association (CPA). The specific opinions and content of this event are not necessarily those of the CPA, and are the responsibility of the organizer(s) alone.”
Guest Speaker – Les Greenberg
Leslie Greenberg, Ph.D. is Distinguished Research Professor Emeritus of Psychology at York University in Toronto, Ontario. He is the Director of the York University Psychotherapy Research Clinic and the developer of Emotion-focused therapy. He has authored the major texts on Emotion-focused approaches to treatment. He is the senior author on the on the original texts on Emotion-focused approaches to treatment of individuals and couples such as Facilitating Emotional Change (1993) and Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (1988). More recent books include Emotion-focused therapy: Coaching Clients to work through their Feelings (2002), Emotion-focused therapy of Depression (2006) and Emotion-focused Couple therapy: The Dynamics of Emotion, Love and Power (2008). His newest book is Theory of Emotion-Focused therapy (2011). Dr Greenberg has published extensively on research on the process of change. He received the 2004 Distinguished Research Career award of the Society for Psychotherapy Research: An International interdisciplinary society. He is a founding member of the Society of the Exploration of Psychotherapy Integration (SEPI) and a past President of the Society for Psychotherapy Research (SPR). He has been awarded the Canadian Council of Professional Psychology Program Award for Excellence in Professional Training and the Canadian Psychological Association Professional Award for distinguished contributions to Psychology as a profession as well as the Carl Rogers award of the American Psychology Association’s Society for Humanistic Psychology. He is recipient of the APA award for Distinguished Professional Contribution to Applied Research. He is on the editorial board of many psychotherapy journals and conducts a private practice for individuals and couples and trains people in Emotion Focused approaches.
Emotion-focused therapy: The Transforming Power of Affect
The workshop will discuss:
- The role of emotion and emotional awareness in function and dysfunction and the importance of working with core painful amygdala based emotion.
- The use of process diagnosis in an emotion-focused approach to identify different types of emotional processes will be discussed.
- Differential intervention based on process diagnosis will be demonstrated.
- Six major principles of emotional change in psychotherapy will be presented: Emotion, Awareness, Expression, Regulation, Reflection, Transformation and Corrective Experience.
- Videotaped examples of evidence based, methods for evoking and dealing with emotions in self-criticism and in emotional injuries from the past with significant others will be presented and discussed.
- Participants will be introduced to the skills of moment by moment attunement to affect, and the use of different methods of dialoguing with parts of self and imagined significant others in an empty chair.
|8:30 am||Registration and Breakfast|
|9:00 am||Welcome and Introductions|
Session I. Emotion and its Role in Therapy
Emotion: Theory and Research
|10:30 am||Refreshment Break|
Session II. Framework for Intervention.
Major Emotional Change Processes
Session III. Specific Method. Working with Emotion in Resolving Self Criticism.
Video Tape Demonstrations and Discussion of Self-criticism and the Emotion Change Process
|2:30 pm||Refreshment Break|
Session IV. Working with Unresolved Emotion in Unfinished business.
Working with Unresolved Emotion in Unfinished business. Discussion
Indications and Counter Indications for Emotion Focused Work. Overcontrolled and Underregulated Emotion
Closing Remarks and Conclusion
- Learn to identify different types of emotional expression.
- Learn when to regulate and when to access emotion.
- Learn how to intervene differentially with emotion
- Learn how to access adaptive emotions to produce change.
- Learn to identify phases in emotional processing to resolve self-critical splits
- Learn to identify phases in emotional processing to resolve unfinished business.
|Before September 16, 2017||After September 16, 2017|
|OPA Members – Full||$225.00 + HST = $254.25||$240.00 + HST = $271.20|
|OPA Members – Associate/Life/Honorary/Inactive||$175.00 + HST = $197.75||$190.00 + HST = $214.70|
|Residents||$195.00 + HST = $107.35||$110.00 + HST = $124.30|
|Non-Members – Physicians||$245.00 + HST = $276.85||$260.00 + HST = $293.80|
|Non-Members – Allied Health Care Professionals||$195.00 + HST = $220.35||$210.00 + HST = $237.30|
To qualify for member fees your membership should be in good standing.
How to Register:
You can either conveniently register online, or you can register by mail/fax. To register by mail/fax, simply download our printable registration form, and send your completed registration to the address indicated on the form.
|Register Online||Register by Mail/Fax|